May 21, 2008

Tajine!!!


(Yes the excess punctuation is necessary for this one)
I've wanted a Tajine for several years now, so I finally bought one in February. I find it completely reasonable that it took me so long to buy one, as you really do need a good quality ceramic that heats evenly but doesn't have the heat expansion problems that you tend to find in cheaper ones (aka cracking w/ temperature change). It really is unreasonable that I've only used it twice now, these dishes really are spectacular in flavor. The downfall of mine is that I have a 6-serving size one, so I do end up making bigger recipes with it; I suppose that means if anyone wants dinner, stop on by.
Last night's feast was a Tajine of artichokes, potatoes, peas and saffron. I really am in love. The best thing about making these dishes is that you start by sauteing garlic or caramelizing onions and the ceramic does this nicely, like a good cast-iron skillet would, and then you are either simmering or baking the bulk of the dish over an extended period of time, so you get absolutely amazing smells for a good hour or so.














On another note; I'm taking the train to San Diego this weekend and attempting to explore the city by bicycle. A little scary, somewhat exciting - any ideas on what to do with myself?

No comments: