Bike - check!
Panniers - check!
Lock, tubes, pump - check!
Rain? . . . . check
I packed up my bags and threw them on my bike and jumped on the train Friday morning. After inviting myself onto Ericka's floor for the weekend, I had the intention of getting myself fully lost in San Diego on bike, just so I could see where on Earth I should think about living. Note: I stopped checking the weather when I left Illinois four years ago (with the exception of stalking the snow in Utah). It didn't even occur to me that I should check the weather before planning on tooling around SD on bicycle. It is May, in southern California, there are two possible weather outcomes; it is either sunny and warm to mildly hot, depending on how far you are from the coast or foggy and 60 degrees (or potentially some combination of the two), there simply aren't other logical options. When I hopped on the 6:30 am train here, it was 60 degrees and foggy; you can imagine my surprise when I woke up as we were pulling into LA and it was teeming! Lucky for me, Ericka called me: "It's pouring, I'm picking you up."
After a rather stormy Friday, the sky cleared up enough for a run on the beach and some exploring on Saturday. Ericka and her husband took me to what will be my new favorite breakfast place when I move to San Diego, Ranchos. I've decided that this counts towards my challenge for two reasons; first, it was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and second, I am moving to SD and I won't survive without breakfast down there. I spent the afternoon getting a nice sunburned stripe on my lower back and seeing the neighborhoods of San Diego by bicycle. Though the storm had moved out from gloomily looming over top of us, the clouds hung around long enough to give me some picture practice on a gorgeous sunset, click pictures.
On another note: cheers to Amtrak for allowing bicycles on board (and for not being late this weekend). That was quite possibly on of the easiest trips I've taken.

No comments:
Post a Comment