November 5, 2008

One step forward another step backwards

Definition: Bigotry - "A bigot is a person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own, and bigotry is the corresponding state of mind."

Seen on a lawn sign above a No on 8 sign: "Bigotry is not a Christian value, it's a SIN"

Complete and utter disappointment describe my sentiments on yesterday's California elections.  I first need to say that I am proud and ecstatic that this country spoke loud and clear by sending Obama to an acceptance podium last night.  While I am not negative, I had a lack of faith (after all we managed to send W to office, twice) and was tearing up while listening to that speech.  

While out celebrating and trying, somewhat unsuccessfully, to find local/state results, it didn't even cross my mind that I should worry about Props  4 & 8.  California is one of the most socially and politically progressive states in the country; I figured it was a no-brainer when I saw on my ballot yesterday the choices to enforce a waiting period for parental notification before a minor has abortion (4) and the choice to ban same sex marriage (8).  In a state with an enormous gay population that seems to at least tolerate, if not embrace, a wide variety of views, backgrounds and values these are proposed amendments which in my belief, violates constitutional rights, and I was incredibly surprised to see that the state of California hesitant enough about this.  Prop 8's other half, the abortion deal, was believed to go hand-in-hand, yet the voters of California, by a narrow margin (52-48) have fortunately spoken that the legal rights of pregnant women, no matter what age, should be protected.  

These battles on bring into question the constitutionality of the the issue of marriage and the separation of church and state . . . I am disgusted.  Not having a legal background of any formal sort, I'm also wondering why, after being shot down as unconstitutional in May 2008, this was something that was left up to the expertise of the voters of California?  Shouldn't that be in the jurisdiction of someone who has passed the state Bar exam?


No comments: