September 6, 2008

Politically minded and the absentmindedness

Being the predictable coffee drinking, sweater wearing, npr listening, white liberal that I am, I tend to fill my rides to school with various podcasts of liberal propaganda with the likes of Car Talk, Wait, Wait . . . Don't Tell Me and Talk of the Nation.  With all the fun of the recent political conventions giving the show something to put up for discussion, this also opened the door for callers who one doesn't normally tend to hear on this show to chime in.  The recent discussions of the Sarah Palin drama and one particular TOTN show have prompted me to write to whomever might be browsing this when they clearly have better things to do with their time.

 Hearing comments on this TOTN show and a recent debate with a former classmate who clearly doesn't share my views (but also didn't seem to have any views of his own); I wanted to make this statement, which I think a large portion of the democratic opposition to Palin will agree with:  

I am not against Sarah Palin because she has five kids, I am not against her because her 17 year-old daughter is pregnant and unmarried.  I am against her because I think her energy/drilling policy is a disaster, because she's pro-life and somewhat of a backwards step for feminists, because I think she's an idiot, corrupt and a poor choice for the potential leadership in this country.  I would dread the day that McCain keels over in office and she has to run this country.  I didn't support McCain before this but I think his choice of Palin reflects a card to simply get him elected and a lack of thought for what the position of a VP should entail and to me, reflects a serious lack of good judgement.  

To all of you Palin supporters who are on the defensive because of the media attacks on her (the conservative media, I might add), take a moment to think about who is attacking her based on her daughter.  I'm willing to bet you that it is more than likely mostly conservatives who favor the same 'abstinence only' teaching that Palin claims to support and who would be extremely embarrassed to have a daughter in the same situation.  Educate yourself in why you're supporting your choices people.  


No comments: