April 19, 2009

all in a name

This may seem fairly obvious, but let me just remind you that doing a race with "Devil" in the name probably isn't a good idea.  

After learning earlier this week that a name is a key to victory (or repeated failures), I should have picked up on it earlier.  Do a race called Devil's Punchbowl and you should know you're in for it.  It's like going down a ski trail called "ACL Repair" or a run called Badwater.  There are some races, like the Bridger Ridge Run, where you have to read the race reports or letters from survivors to realize its a bad idea (particullarly if its your taper before a half-ironman, but thats beside the point).  If after hearing the name of the race, you still think you want to do it, I will give you the well educated opinion that looking at a map and weather forecast, should convince you otherwise; especially if you have  12:40pm start time.


None the less, I finished, suffered through stagnant desert heat and finished, and even got a tiny glimpse of the fact that, this is the area I may very well be running though come September.  

I've said it before, but I'll leave you with this thought:
Originally uploaded by bluewheels

No comments: